Friday, January 20, 2012

this writer's first love: short stories

2 short stories, each w/ author note
As a 15-year-old, I stumbled on "The Gift of the Magi" by O. Henry, my first exposure to the short story. Though the plot was bittersweet, I was enchanted by how the author waited until the end to surprise the reader.

Thus began my love affair with short fiction: trying to craft a story in as few words as possible, with a twist at the end. It's a lot of fun!

So in between publishing children's books, I have tinkered and toiled with my Curiously Odd Stories and am excited to share them! I've added an author note for each, with a brief background on the creative idea. Volume 1 is now available on Amazon Kindle for $2.99. Cover illustration is by my son, Cody Rutty.

I hope you enjoy ... there are more to come!

No comments: