Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Exciting new work: a memoir

Hello Friends! I'm coming up for air with happy news, a giant love note on my life as a writer. From now until its pub date this Fall, I'll post a weekly excerpt from BLUE SKIES: ONE AUTHOR'S JOURNEY. And here we go!
     At age sixty-three I'm pleased to hit the pause button for reflection. I've jotted a few memories from writing for the Los Angeles Times and also Scholastic, the world's largest children's book publisher: the rejections, heartbreak, joys, and beloved editors. My privileged career has been intertwined with motherhood, the richest adventure of all.
     A birthday gift when I turned seven was a diary, my first. Pink and palm-sized, it had a brass clasp and tiny keyhole so I could record secrets on the lined paper then lock 'em up. I hid the key in a shoe to keep out sibling spies.
     Thus began a lifelong habit of writing things down. My closet is filled with spiral notebooks, old calendars, moleskins, travel diaries, and thick leather journals. I've culled intimacies from these diaries to better express moments in this memoir.
     The most common question readers ask is, Where do you get your ideas? so herein lie the answers. I hope these behind-the-scenes of book writing might inspire writers starting out and those who love the magic of words.

I'm always happy to hear from readers, and would love to know if any of you keep a diary. You can comment below. Have a lovely day, and stay tuned!


5 comments:

forma amator said...

I am really looking forward to reading this! Thanks for writing this.

Kristiana Gregory said...

Hello forma amator! Thank you for your interest :-)

Cards by Gina said...

So glad you wrote this book! I can't wait to read it!

Anonymous said...

Exciting news! Congratulations, Kristi!

Kristiana Gregory said...

Hi Gina! So good to hear from you. You'll recognize some dear faces from Scholastic.
Leslie, thanks for your encouragement and for your Eagle Eye catching typos.