Thursday, March 15, 2018

3rd graders love Cabin Creek Mysteries

A wonderful surprise just made my day. My post office box was stuffed with letters from 3rd graders in North Carolina. In various degrees of beautiful penmanship with charming drawings, they explained that their teacher reads two chapters a day to them. They were thrilled with the stories, but "very, very sad" that #8 was about to end. "Please write more," they said. In a separate note their teacher added,
       I wanted you to see how your Cabin Creek Mysteries have motivated my 3rd-grade students to love mysteries. Recently one of my students came to me all excited that he had found book 9 in your CCM. Naturally I had to add it to my collection. We are currently writing mysteries in class and many students have incorporated your books into their story. Thanks for helping my students love "read alouds".
     My pleasure! And thank you to teachers and parents who pass on a love of story to children. I'm privileged to be part of this adventure, and 'very, very happy' to tell them #10 is on the way: "The Curse of Shark Cove," set in a California town by the sea.

1 comment:

Trish said...

Hi Kristiana Gregory. Help if you can. I am retired and trying to get back to writing my historical fiction for young adults. My story is set in France in the 1870s.

I read other historical fictions by Carolyn Meyer, Kathryn Lasky, Lucy Worsley, Karen Cushman, Audrey Coulombs, and you! Of course my list is almost endless with many writers in this genre. I taught middle school language arts and later high school English.

I admire writers because it is such a discipline art. Bravo to all of you!

I am currently reading "Eleanor, Crown Jewel of Aquitaine: France, 1136". I am enjoying the novel but confused on page 72.
The family is visiting Cognac in September then decides to go home to Poitiers. You write that they will follow the river. "In the coming days we will pack up our wagons and travel north, home to Poitiers. We follow Charente most of the way, so we'll be near freshwater." I really liked the realistic detail but when I looked up the Charente River it flows east to west and not north. Does it matter in historical fiction if you change actual details like this? I may need to do thid in my book.
Please advise! Also, do you write daily and do you recommend any good editing sites? I will self-publish too. I will never be as good as published writers like you but want to publish on Amazon. Any feedback is appreciated!
Thank you,
Trish Commons
tricia.commons@gmail.com